Good news for Overseas Foreign Workers! Resolution No. 12, Series 2016 was passed by the Governing Board of the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA), exempt OFWs from securing the Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC) for the vacationing OFWs who are about to return under the same employer and same job site.
What is Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC)?
Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC) is an exit clearance from Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) as a proof that the holder is a legitimate OFW. It is to make sure also that the Filipino workers (OFWs) are properly documented and protected.
Who may avail the OEC exemption?
OFWs will be exempted from acquiring OEC if he/she will meet the following requirement:
- OFWs who was about to return to the same employer with the same job site;
- OFWs who have the current records in the POEA database;
- OFW who is hired through the Government Placement Branch
What are the mechanics on how to avail the OEC exemption?
The returning OFW should register first at BM Online facility before his/her departure. The worker needs to update the personal and employment particulars. The update information shall be transmitted to the Bureau of Immigration (BI) to serve as reference for the Immigration Officer who will validate if the worker is entitle for the OEC exemption. Registration is free of charge.
Workers who are not exempted from OEC requirements will be directed to the BM Online webpage where they may can register again and set another appointment with their preferred POEA office.
Workers who proceed to airport without prior registration with the BM Online system will be referred by the Bureau of Immigration to the POEA Labor Assistance Council (LAC) for evaluation to conclude if the worker will be cleared for departure or subjected for further assessment and completion of documents and procedure.
Who will continue to process OEC requirements?
- First time Overseas Foreign workers
- Returning OFWs with different employers and job site
- OFWs without POEA records/no records found/discrepancy in any records
- Undocumented workers (Tourist to OFW, Dependent to OFW, Student to OFW etc.)
- Sea based worker who changed position to land based workers
- Watch listed workers or OFW with watch listed employers.
The returning OFWs with OEC are exempted from paying the travel tax and terminal fee if he/she can present any of the following;
- Valid work visa/ work permit
- Valid employment contract
- Valid employment certificate
- Valid company ID
- Recent payroll slip
Resolution 12 Series of 2016, POEA exempts vacationing/returning OFWs to the same employer for acquiring OEC (Balik Manggawa) is the response to the order of President Rodrigo Duterte’s directive to centralize the process of deploying Filipino workers abroad. Its aims to disburden the returning OFWs from unnecessary charges and fees. The order was taken effect last September 2016.
Mga Kababayan’s this is a good news so, don’t forget to share this knowledge to your fellow overseas foreign workers.
Please like and share our Facebook page: OFWHiring. Thank you!